I don’t think I’ve been this excited for a cookbook release ever.
As soon as Molly Yeh announced her book Molly On the Range , I have been waiting impatiently for October 4th. And when I came home from work last wednesday the cookbook was waiting for me in a slim cardboard package. And of course I flipped through it right then and there.
Picking which recipe to try and first and blog about was a hard decision. Should I have done a brunch recipe? Should I do a classic Molly-like recipe with tahini and marzipan and sprinkles? Where the shit do I buy labneh!??
But when I saw this pizza I knew it was a perfect match in savory fall heaven. Butternut squash and Arugula is one of my favorite fall veggie combos. And a pizza with ricotta and caramelized onions?! This pizza is right up my alley.
And I have to say that I was not disappointed at all. A crunchy thin crust, topped with creamy ricotta and squash, and savory onions. I could not get enough. In fact I ate the entire pizza in one sitting. I mean my boyfriend helped me out a little bit, but to be honest I did not want to share.
I was a little skeptical at first of the squash, because squash on a pizza sounds like a funky texture thing. But if you turn butter nut squash into butternut squash ribbons it becomes the most perfect pizza topping. They are sweet but obnoxiously so, and the ribbons on top develop some crunch, which complements with creamy onion/cheesy base.
And lets face it everything should be topped with peppery, lemony Arugula.
I could fangirl over Molly all day and her genius. Some other recipes I am very excited to try from the book: Asian Scotch Eggs, Challah Waffles, Quinoa Carbonara, Tahini Blondie Ice Cream sandwhiches and sooo much more. Basically I might cook through this entire cookbook for the rest of the year. Can I do kind of a Julie and Julia thing, except for Christina and Molly?? or would that be too weird.
The recipe is from Molly on the Range. I didn’t change the recipe at all. Except for the fact that I used ready made dough instead of making my own because I just don’t have the patience for that right now.
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- pizza dough (I used ready-made thin pizza crust by wewalka)
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesean cheese
- 4 oz butternut squash, peeled into thin ribbons
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1½ teaspoons lemon juice
- crushed red pepper, salt, black pepper
- In a small saucepan, carmelize the onions in olive oil and butter for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Add ground sage and cook for two more minutes.Take off heat and set aside
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- On a baking sheet place the pizza dough and spread half the ricotta, then half the parmesan, half the onions, half the squash ribbons and a healthy sprinkling of salt and pepper. Brush the crust and squash with olive oil.
- Place in the oven and let bake for 8 minutes.
- Take the pizza out of the oven and add the remaining ricotta, parm, onions, and squash ribbons.
- Bake for another 8 minutes or until the crust turns light brown and the squash gets crispy.
- Toss arugula with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Serve the pizza with fresh parm and crushed red pepper.
- Give a huge thank you THE Molly Yeh!